I have decided to feature Guest Posts on my Blog which will feature stories of others who have had Weight Loss Surgery. While I love that you all follow MyStory I thought it would be fun to hear others as well.
Everyone has their own story to tell and their own experiences when it comes to Weight Loss Surgery – both good and bad. I think reading all about what others have experienced will help you either make the choice to have the surgery yourself or help you through if you already have.
So I put together a list of questions for my guests to answer and asked them to be completely honest with their answers. I am hoping to have many Guest Posts featured here on my blog and it will be so much fun to read each and everyone of them. So are you ready? Ok lets go…
This is Marissa’s Story…
1. WHAT TYPE OF WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY DID YOU HAVE AND WHAT DATE WAS IT?
December 19, 2011. I was 31 years old.
2. WHY DID YOU CHOOSE THAT SURGERY OVER ANOTHER SURGERY – LIKE GASTRIC BYPASS VS. LAP BAND
I heard that getting the lap band usually resulted in a future roux en y. I wanted the fast results that came with the Roux En Y.
3. WHAT WAS YOUR HIGHEST WEIGHT PRIOR TO SURGERY AND WHAT WAS YOUR WEIGHT THE DAY OF SURGERY? WHAT IS YOUR WEIGHT RIGHT NOW?
Highest – 288.5, Day of surgery – 276, Current – 140 lbs.
4. HOW DID YOU COME TO MAKING THE DECISION TO UNDERGO WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY?
I finally got tired of numerous failed attempts of diets. Seeing my sister’s wedding pictures that I was in and how big I was made it official. I did not struggle what-so-ever.
5. WHAT DO YOU THINK CAUSED YOU TO GAIN SO MUCH WEIGHT— ARE YOU A COMFORT FOOD EATER? HAVE YOU STRUGGLED WITH WEIGHT ALL YOUR LIFE? HOW MANY DIFFERENT DIETING PLANS HAVE YOU TRIED OVER THE YEARS? CAN YOU NAME THEM?
I didn’t struggle with my weight until I had kids. I was always skinny until I hit age 20 where I was pregnant with my first child and gained 90 lbs. and never lost it after he was born. I tried the fad diets throughout the years.
6. DID YOU HAVE ANY PROBLEMS WITH YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY APPROVING YOUR SURGERY OR DID YOU SELF PAY FOR IT?
I had no problems getting my insurance to cover my surgery. I did have to go through the 6 month process of dietician appts, psych appts, and the informational sessions.
7. WHAT WAS THE PROCESS YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY MADE YOU GO THROUGH TO GET TO THE POINT OF SURGERY? EXAMPLE: HOW MANY MONTHS OF NUTRITIONAL COUNSELING, HOW MUCH WEIGHT IF ANY DID THEY REQUIRE YOU TO LOSE… WERE YOU DENIED AT ALL THE FIRST TIME ETC..
See answer above
8. HOW DID OTHERS REACT TO YOUR DECISION TO HAVE WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY? DID YOU HAVE SUPPORT? DID YOU KEEP YOUR CHOICE A SECRET FROM YOUR CO WORKERS OR ANY OTHERS?
I had a lot of support, but I also had the negative nancys that were afraid of what ‘could’ happen. I didn’t keep it a secret, I was very open with everyone I talked to.
9. TELL ME ABOUT YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH YOUR SURGERY — DID IT ALL GO WELL OR DID YOU HAVE ANY COMPLICATIONS AND IF SO WHAT WERE THEY.
My surgery was pretty cut and dry. Everything went accordingly. I struggled a little bit on day 1 and 2 of post op to get water down, but it all worked out.
10. HOW WAS YOUR PAIN AFTER SURGERY — HOW LONG WAS IT BEFORE YOU FELT GOOD ENOUGH TO RETURN TO YOUR NORMAL ACTIVITIES/WORK?
The pain was TREMENDOUS – but I kept telling myself that pain is only temporary. I returned to school a little less than 3 weeks after surgery with no issues.
11. DID YOU HAVE A HARD TIME FOLLOWING THE EATING RULES AFTER SURGERY? IF SO WHAT HAS BEEN THE HARDEST RULE FOR YOU?
I didn’t follow the exact schedules that the surgeon wanted me to. I felt I was ready sooner than the allotted time of each stage. I was on solids sooner than I probably should have been. I did learn from several dumping episodes.
I did the same thing – I jumped ahead a bit myself
12. IS THERE ANYTHING YOU NOW HAVE TROUBLE EATING OR CANNOT TOLERATE SINCE THE SURGERY?
There isn’t much I have issues with as far as foods since surgery. Sometime I forget to slow down though.
13. DID YOU EXPERIENCE ANY AFTER SURGERY DEPRESSION FROM YOUR HORMONES GOING CRAZY?
After surgery I did struggle with my emotional well-being. At week 2 I really struggled. I could cry at the drop of a hat. I dealt with this by calling friends who also had the surgery. They helped me talk through my issues.
I have had calls from my friends when they went through those sad moments – always good to have someone who has gone through it to be told it is normal.
14. HAVE YOU EXPERIENCED DUMPING SYNDROME AND IF SO WHAT CAUSED IT AND WHAT DID IT FEEL LIKE TO YOU. EXPLAIN YOUR SYMPTOMS.
I still get it occasionally; probably about once every three months or so. My dumping consists of an ‘icky’ feeling, sometimes puking, sometimes diarrhea, sweats, fatigue.
15. DO YOU DRINK PROTEIN SHAKES? IF SO WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE FLAVOR AND BRAND AND DO YOU HAVE A SPECIAL WAY YOU PREFER IT? COLD/HOT, MIXED WITH SOMETHING ELSE ETC…
I do not drink protein shakes. I had tried several that I didn’t like and kind of turned me off from all of them. My dietician said that I don’t need to try to drink the shakes since whatever I am or have been doing works just fine.
16. WHEN YOU WERE ON THE PUREED PART OF THE DIET— WHAT WAS YOUR GO TO FOOD?
My go to food was chili. It was the first food that I felt normal eating (pureed of course) And I still LOVE it and I make it a lot.
17. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE AFTER WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY ALLOWED SNACK NOW?
My favorite weight loss snack hasn’t really changed. I love all raw veggies, hardboiled eggs, string cheese. I loved all those snacks presurgery. I just ate TOO much of them.
18. WHAT VITAMINS DO YOU TAKE ON A DAILY BASIS SINCE THE SURGERY?
Multi, calcium, vitamin d, biotin, and the b12 every 5-6 weeks.
19. HAVE YOU HAD ANY COMPLICATIONS SINCE HAVING THE SURGERY? ANY ADDITIONAL SURGERIES OR ULCERS?
No complications what-so-ever.
20. HAVE YOU EXPERIENCED ANY HAIR LOSS SINCE HAVING THE SURGERY? IF SO EXPLAIN AND IF YOU HAVE ANY TIPS ON HOW YOU DEAL WITH IT.
About 3 months post op I was losing a large amount of hair. I have naturally thick and curly hair, so it didn’t hurt me too badly. I just got sick of my drain in my tub getting plugged up. That’s when I started biotin. That all subsided at about 6 months. I still continue to take the biotin.
21. WHAT WAS YOUR FIRST WOW MOMENT AFTER YOU LOST SOME WEIGHT FROM THE SURGERY — LIKE SOMEONE NOTICING, BEING ABLE TO FIT IN A SEAT WITH ROOM TO SPARE, DROPPING A CLOTHING SIZE ETC…
There are several. The “WOW! You look great!” comments that came at about month 4-6. The ah ha moment that I can fit into a movie seat without being scrunched… the moment I could climb stairs without getting winded. Recently though, I ran into an old friend who hadn’t seen me for about 6 months. He walked in and said “Wow, I would never have recognized you had I seen you on the streets!” That was amazing!
Yes those are most definitely all BIG WoW moments, good for you!!
22. DO YOU HAVE A FAVORITE AFTER SURGERY RECIPE THAT YOU LOVE AND WANT TO SHARE?
I have had to get very creative with chicken. My favorite recipe is one I got off of pinterest. It can be found here: http://realmomkitchen.com/9318/oven-baked-chicken-fajitas/ I think it also helps that my entire family loves these as well.
23. IS THERE ANY THING FOODWISE YOU MISS THAT YOU CANNOT HAVE NOW?
I miss ice cream. I can have it, but my tummy cramps up and I have the worst gas.
24. WHAT PANT SIZE WERE YOU PRIOR TO SURGERY AND WHAT SIZE ARE WEARING RIGHT NOW?
I was in a 26 pant size and now I’m in 6-8 pants.
Holy Moly girl – that is a HUGE clothing size drop, way to go!!
25. DO YOU HAVE ANY REGRETS ABOUT HAVING WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY? WOULD YOU DO IT AGAIN IF YOU HAD TO?
No regrets. NONE! I love me! I would do it all again. I do fear that I am too skinny now, but I am happy with myself! I just get sick of the comments “You look anorexic!” SCREW THOSE PEOPLE!
You are right screw them – if you are happy that is all that matters.
26. TELL US THREE GOALS YOU HAVE FOR YOURSELF OR WANT TO MEET WHEN YOU HAVE LOST THE WEIGHT YOU WANT OR MAYBE YOU HAVE ACCOMPLISHED THEM ALREADY:
I worked on some bucket list items: I got my motorcycle license about 5 months after surgery. I am doing the Dirty Girl Mud Run in August that is a 5k muddy obstacle course. I have done Zumba, which is something I never would have done before. I have noticed that some of my stage freight has also gone away.
27. WHAT ADVICE WOULD YOU GIVE TO SOMEONE ELSE WHO IS THINKING ABOUT HAVING WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY?
Do it for you, nobody else! Pay very close attention to all the mental health aspects. Its easier for someone to tell you what you will feel, but until you actually go through it, you have no clue what to expect.
Now who wants to see some before and after photos of Marissa?
Wow in less than one year Marissa completely transformed her life and looks not only years younger, but absolutely Amazing!!!
Thank you Marissa for sharing your story and photos with all of us. I also want to thank you since we became online friends in the early part of my post op and being so helpful as I went through the journey as well. You are no doubt an inspiration.
Want to share your story?
If you would be willing to share your story and answer the same questions Contact Me and I will send you what you need. We would love to hear all about you!!